01 February 2010

Interview with Ralph Lombrelia

A few months ago I interviewed Ralph Lombreglia for the Scholar. It was one of the first assignments I was given. He's an under the radar kind of writer that follows the current fashionable style of storytelling: instead of developing a plot or characters, you set up a scene, roll with it for a little while and then end abruptly. At first, I was always severely dissatisfied with these sorts of stories. I wanted something profound. I wanted an epiphany or realization at the end. Lombrelia's story "Unrippable" changed my perspective in a way. I didn't even think it was written with an exceedingly large amount of grace or poise, but rather that it was simple, unimposing, and more closely resembled the majority of life than the old-fashioned, climatic alternative to storytelling. It made me think: what about the stories behind the everyday, the subtle, the somewhat mundane? The story behind a crisis, a love, or a epiphany are so obvious. Aren't the times between love or after crisis important too? Aren't they worth telling? I'm still not completely sure. Read my interview, and read "Unrippable" and let me know.

0 comments: